Discovery Air Defence is committed to recruiting and retaining the best talent in aviation industry. By joining DA Defence you will have the opportunity to participate in a unique and dynamic environment focused on growth, entrepreneurship, innovation and teamwork.
We are committed to providing our customers with specialty aviation solutions whenever and wherever they are required. Our pilots, maintainers, logisticians and administrators operate with precision and pride in some of the most challenging environments in the world.
Discovery Air Defence is the prime supplier of Airborne Training services to the Canadian Army, Navy and Air Force.
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Discovery Air Defence is the exclusive supplier of combat airborne training services to the Canadian Forces. We provide joint terminal attack controller training to Canadian special operations and ground forces, Red Air and electronic attack training to CF-18 aircrew and navy, as well as live-fire target practice to the Canadian military. Discovery Air Defence's integrated logistics, maintenance and engineering solutions ensure that the Canadian Forces receives the level of support they require to achieve their objectives. Experience Matters.
The Propulsion Specialist will act as the company engine reliability engineer and engine fleet manager for a fleet of Larzac and Pratt and Whitney engines. The role includes planning engine potential, optimizing the maintenance schedule and engine visits as well as building and managing a reliability program to enhance the maintenance schedule. Reporting to the Director of Fleet Management, the propulsion specialist will be responsible to plan capital acquisitions, and forecast maintenance cost while interfacing with suppliers for the delivery and support of the program. The Propulsion Specialist must be familiar with CARs and prepare required documents and reports pertaining to the fleet of engines.
- Prepare engine statement of work for 3rd line maintenance
- Provide technical support and troubleshooting assistance during engine strip and build
- Liaise with the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) on any engine related issues
- Liaise with the Program Managers for requests
- Provide support to the Engine Test Cell during engine tests
- Provide Technical assistance and support to the maintenance team
- Manage components and parts sourcing to establish an efficient engine support line
- Responsible for the Maintenance Schedule and optimization
- Prepare customized shop reports
- Create and present technical presentations for Quarterly Review Meetings (QRMs) with the senior leaders
- Develop and maintain Workscope Planning Guide documents and production schedule
- Optimize the engine maintenance schedule to meet operational requirements
- Create and oversee an engine reliability program to monitor the fleet and optimize engine potential
- Manage Service Bulletin review process
- Provide support to the Configuration Control Specialist during the publication review process
- Develop and maintain engine configuration management in AMS or equivalent aircraft management maintenance system
- Lead in the financial analysis and cost reduction initiatives
- Monitor the execution of Condition Monitoring / In Service Health Monitoring programs on all DA Defence engines
- Conduct Design Change activities in support of obsolescence replacements and life improvements
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Perform other related duties as required
You will have the following responsibilities in order to comply with the company's Occupational Health and Safety program:
Employees are responsible for:
- Working in compliance with Occupational Health and Safety acts and regulations
- Following safe work practices and procedures and using safeguards and personal protective equipment
- Reporting hazards (such as unsafe situations and activities) to their supervisor immediately
Qualifications and Requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Aeronautical, Materials or equivalent Engineering degree. Equivalent experience may be acceptable if candidate has strong pertinent background and strong analytical skills
- 8-12 years of experience in similar position, or equivalent experience
- Possess detailed knowledge of turbine engine maintenance programs
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience in handling technical aspects of maintenance repairs of aero engines in an Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO)
- Experience with Transport Canada Civil Aviation Regulations (CARs)
- Experience in handling and troubleshooting engine problems
- Proven ability to conduct investigations, prepare technical reports and recommend manual revisions
- Sound judgment and initiative
- Ability to multitask and work without direct supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to influence others
- Willingness to be on call and to work extended hours including weekends
- Fleet experience on propulsion systems
- Ability to summarize, Organizational planning and Problem solver
- Organizational skills and Tolerance to Stress
- Fluent in French and English
- Ability to perform all work in support of our Corporate Values of Safety, Teamwork, Focus, Innovation and Integrity
- Demonstrates strong and visible support of our values
- Travel is required for the position
- Occasional visits to aircraft maintenance facilities (company and vendor) is required.
- Urgent airworthiness issues and operational availability problems will require immediate addressing. This can result in the requirement to work outside normal office hours.
- International travel may also be required in this role
- Ability to obtain a “Level 2” security clearance with the Canadian Government and the ability to gain access to the Canadian Controlled Goods Program
Discovery Air Defence Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity and encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
Apply for the position
Discovery Air Defence is committed to being the premier provider of cost effective aviation solutions to the Canadian Armed Forces and the Government of Canada.
Discovery Air Defence is part of the Discovery Air family, which has a wealth of technical expertise in its subsidiaries, ranging from Fixed-wing to Rotary-wing for both Civil and Military products.
Discovery Air Defence operates a fleet of modified Alpha Jet aircraft in the airborne training services role. All Alpha Jet aircraft have been upgraded with state-of-the-art Martin Baker ejection seats and Dassault Canopy Escape systems.
Discovery Air Defence operates IAI Westwind 1124 aircraft, all special mission configured, to provide high-quality real-time training. The Westwinds have been modified with under-winged hard points, pylons and an internal winch to support Target Tow and Electronic Warfare missions. Top Discovery Air Defence's fleet of Westwinds stands ready to meet the demand for quality special mission combat support.