Discovery Air Defence is committed to recruiting and retaining the best talent in aviation industry. By joining DA Defence you will have the opportunity to participate in a unique and dynamic environment focused on growth, entrepreneurship, innovation and teamwork.
We are committed to providing our customers with specialty aviation solutions whenever and wherever they are required. Our pilots, maintainers, logisticians and administrators operate with precision and pride in some of the most challenging environments in the world.
Discovery Air Defence is the prime supplier of Airborne Training services to the Canadian Army, Navy and Air Force.
Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) Manager
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Discovery Air Defence is the exclusive supplier of combat airborne training services to the Canadian Forces. We provide joint terminal attack controller training to Canadian special operations and ground forces, Red Air and electronic attack training to CF-18 aircrew and navy, as well as live-fire target practice to the Canadian military. Discovery Air Defence's integrated logistics, maintenance and engineering solutions ensure that the Canadian Forces receives the level of support they require to achieve their objectives. Experience Matters
- Provide Leadership in promoting a safety culture by guiding, mentoring, educating, training, and motivating DA Defence team
- Ensure OH&S regulatory compliance in all geographies (Canada, US, Germany, Australia), and provide guidance for any future operational growth
- Ensure compliance with workplace safety regulations, monitor compliance to policies and report on OH&S awareness, issues and statistics
- Maintain and update DA Defence’s OH&S Manual
- Collect, evaluate and disseminate pertinent regulatory and other information relating to OH&S and implement changes as applicable
- Perform workplace visits, job observations and assist with monthly inspections with intent to coach and mentor OH&S representatives
- Audit safety performance, evaluate safety culture, and promote a well-functioning internal responsibility system
- Promote proactive and leading OH&S procedures to ensure a safe and healthy environment
- Develop and deliver OH&S training and presentations for health and safety matters and accident prevention
- Assist and coach DA Defence Management and OH&S representatives to ensure workplace inspections, hazard reporting and safety documentation are in compliance with the regulations
- Lead continuous improvements to DA Defence’s OH&S Program
- Complete trend analysis on near misses, incidents and inspections, and develop corrective action plans
- Manage the WHMIS program compliance
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
You will have the following responsibilities in order to comply with the company's Occupational Health and Safety program:
- Providing a safe and healthy workplace including the necessary equipment, systems, and tools which are properly maintained
- Providing information, training, instruction and supervision to protect the Occupational Health and Safety of Employees
- Ensuring Employees under their direction know and comply with Occupational Health and Safety requirements
- Ensuring Employees under their direction receive adequate supervision.
- Establishing, supporting, and consulting with Occupational Health and Safety committees and Workplace Occupational Health and Safety representatives on all matters to improve workplace Occupational Health and Safety including regular safety inspections of the workplace.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements
- College or University degree in Health and Safety, or equivalent
- 5 – 10 years of experience in OH&S
- OH&S experience within aviation industry, a strong asset
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) Designation, an asset
- Working experience with Provincial & Federal OH&S legislation
- Experience with COR Audits and third party safety audits, an asset
- Experience with BS OHSAS 18001, an asset
- Knowledge of ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems
- Strong investigation skills
- Experience with OH&S in international setting, a strong asset
- Experience with managing a budget, an asset
- Strong Microsoft Office skills
- Well organized, ability to multi task and work under tight deadlines
- Strong communications skills
- Positive, professional attitude, able to take initiative and ownership of role
- Comfortable working in an entrepreneurial spirited, fast-paced and changing work environment, with a desire to make a strong impact
- Ability to prioritize competing demands
- Ability to work in a high pressure environment
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves to get the job done
- High attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and follow up skills
- Team Player
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle may be required
- Ability to perform all work in support of our Corporate Values of Safety, Teamwork, Focus, Innovation and Integrity
- Demonstrates strong and visible support of our values
- International travel will be required in this role
- Ability to obtain a “Level 2” security clearance with the Canadian Government and the ability to gain access to the Canadian Controlled Goods Program
Discovery Air Defence is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity and encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
Apply for the position
Discovery Air Defence is committed to being the premier provider of cost effective aviation solutions to the Canadian Armed Forces and the Government of Canada.
Discovery Air Defence is part of the Discovery Air family, which has a wealth of technical expertise in its subsidiaries, ranging from Fixed-wing to Rotary-wing for both Civil and Military products.
Discovery Air Defence operates a fleet of modified Alpha Jet aircraft in the airborne training services role. All Alpha Jet aircraft have been upgraded with state-of-the-art Martin Baker ejection seats and Dassault Canopy Escape systems.
Discovery Air Defence operates IAI Westwind 1124 aircraft, all special mission configured, to provide high-quality real-time training. The Westwinds have been modified with under-winged hard points, pylons and an internal winch to support Target Tow and Electronic Warfare missions. Top Discovery Air Defence's fleet of Westwinds stands ready to meet the demand for quality special mission combat support.